Tuesday, August 17, 2010

ministry update...for this week: )

So before I get to this week in ministry, I wanted to give everyone a brief update on us as a family. Things have been going well. We continue to learn that our lives now seem to revolve around our disciple(commonly know as Grace). Grace is doing well. It seems as though she is sleeping alot longer, which is such a blessing!!! The last few nights she has been sleeping between 4 and 6 hours at a time at night. I figure for most parents this is the most exciting thing to happen in since the babies birth...: ). She is now 2 months old!!! I can't believe how fast that time has gone by. Maybe it is all the lost sleep...hmmm??:). Julia and I are doing well. As we have come to the next big phase of our marriage, we decided it probably would be good for us to revisit the biblical principals of marriage and our role's. It has really been a refreshing time. Where as we study together we recognize area's where each of us needs work and where we can be more obedient to God in our marriage. We continue to try to take each tuesday as our family /date day. Sometimes we are able to go out, but sometimes not. But all in all, I consider myself to have been shown so much grace(God's grace) when I think of my marriage and family. God truly has been gracious to us!! Please continue to pray that we would be an example to all that see our lives, and that we would echo these words by John Newton, "I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I wish to be. I am not what I hope to be.Yet I can truly say, I am not what I once was. By the grace of God I am what I am.”

So now...what have we been doing in ministry this week? This week has been a good week, and also a different week.

Last friday I continued with the membership/baptism class. It went well, except that this week the girl that usually translates was not able to make it, so we did not cover much in the class so that we would not leave any behind. See the class is in english translated to Oshiwambo. Julia was the translater before the baby came, but since it has been cold and we meet in the evening she has not come. So this past week we only looked at one section and that was "what is the purpose of the local church?". We learned about the chief purpose of glorifying God, and then we looked at Matt. 28:18-20 expounding the great commission. Over all it still went well.

This sunday we did not attend Monte Christo Baptist church. Once a month we are given a sunday off to go and visit one of the other churches we are associated with. The hope is that when we are able to get a truck we will also be able to visit some of the churches up North as well. This sunday we visited Westside Baptist Church. This church is primarily Herero in attendance. The Herero people are another major cultural group here in Namibia. The church seems to be doing well. We joined them for there bible study which started at 9:00am. They have been going through the book of Exodus. So this week they looked at chapter 24. It was a good bible study, and it was evident that there was good understanding of the Word. The sermon then was in Galations 5:13-26. It was a great sermon and overall we really enjoyed the service. Please pray for this church, that God would continue to lead there leaders and bless there ministry.

The house to house ministry went well this week. This is a part of our week we really look forward to. We are still meeting at Tate Immanuels house. This week we finished chapter one of Ephesians(Eph 1:18b-23). We looked at three things Paul wanted the Corinthians to understand. 1. That our Hope was received at salvation(vs18b). 2. That our future is to be Jesus' inheritance or "riches"(vs18c). 3. That we would understand God's Power(vs.19-23). It was a good time. Then we spent about 30 min. in prayer for one another and for the church. And as always then we had some great time in fellowship as we ate together. Our hope is that sometime soon we would begin to reach out even do ministry together. I believe that it is important not only to study the Word, but to put it in practice by sharing the gospel to those outside. Please pray for strength and wisdom as we strive to be obedient to Christ.

I also thought I would share with you this week how my studying has been going. I have been reading various books as part of my study. First, I have been reading a biography on Dr. Martyn LLoyd Jones. It is a two book biography, and I have started on book one which is on his first 40 years. So far it has been really good. I have found that I really enjoy reading biographies of missionaries and pastors. I am just in his early years right now, but already it has been great! Martyn L. Jones for a long time would not agree to anyone doing a biography because he feared he would be glorified rather than Christ. Even in the early chapters one thing is evident...He was all about God's Glory!!! I also have read The Doctrines of Grace by James Montgomery Boice. I tell you the truth!!!!...This is one of the best books I have ever read, and in my opinion the best of this doctrine. If you are able to get this book....BUY IT!!! It is wonderful. After finishing that book I have just started The reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter. Although just started..really looking forward to it. I will keep you posted!

Lastly, I wanted to update you about Christian and Nelda. We went into Okahandja today and were able to meet with Nelda for some time. She is doing ok. The divorce has been finalized. So there is a little relief on that side. She is now trying to kind of start over(if that was at all possible). Please pray that God would continue to guide her. We will meet with her again next week. Also please pray for Christian that he would repent and turn to Jesus.

Well...thank you for reading this post. I know it may be long, but hopefully you enjoyed it and have been encouraged. Again, if anyone reading has any questions or comments please leave your comments here on the post, or email me at gtbutters@gmail.com. I will write again soon!

No comments: